About Dental Implants
Malan Heights Dental provides dental implant services for our patients in the Ogden, South Ogden, Riverdale, Uintah, and surrounding communities. Our goal is to help patients become proud of their smiles through our unique dental services. The American Dental Association recommends dental implants and deems them to be safe. Here are the most common dental implant options:
- Endosteal Implants – Endosteal implants come in diameters from 2.0-6.0mm at the appropriate length for the amount of bone available in the upper and lower jaw. These implants are surgically inserted into the jawbone. Endosteal implants require the jawbone to be healthy enough to support the titanium screw that is inserted. If the jawbone is not strong, we will discuss bone grafts as they can stregthen the jaw bone to prepare it for implants. An artificial tooth is created and attached directly to a portion of the post that is sticking up from the gums.
Oral Care Tips for Healthy Implants
Dental implants have a high success rate (effective 98% of the time), but they can fail if patients do not take the right measures to maintain proper oral health. Here are some tips that will help your implants remain strong and healthy:
- Daily Brushing and Flossing – patients need to focus on brushing at least twice a day and flossing at least once. If you have any gum disease problems, it can start to cause problems and will make an implant fail. Try using interdental brushes as they will help you clean between the teeth.
- Stop Smoking and Tobacco Use – if you smoke, or chew tobacco, it can cause serious oral health problems. Smoking will weaken the bone structure. Chewing tobacco will cause gum disease and will yellow and rot the surrounding teeth.
- Avoid Chewing on Hard Foods – you need to avoid chewing on hard foods and items such as hard candy and ice. Chewing on these items can break the crown and often cause the crown’s integrity to be compromised.
- Wear a Mouthguard – people that grind their teeth can ruin implants. Wear a mouthguard to prevent teeth grinding, which can ruin the crown and possibly cause an implant to fail.
- Schedule Regular Checkups – the best way to ensure your teeth and gums remain healthy is to visit our Ogden dental office bi-yearly for regular cleanings and examinations. We will inspect the implant to ensure it is in good condition.